Friday, April 16, 2010

my prof wants me to enter my paper in a writing competition!

I wrote and anti-racist critique of Avatar for my Anti-Racist and Cross-Cultural Social Work Practice class. It was a 12 to 13 page research paper, and the assignment was very open to interpretation, as long as I included a section on implications for social work practice. My instructor commented that my paper was a nuanced, multi-layered analysis, and she'd like me to consider submitting it to the competition. Yay!!

I posted an update on Facebook about this, and 3 of my fellow students, as well as an old high school friend who is also an academic, are interested in reading it! I'm excited and honoured and... overwhelmed... The paper was a first draft. I didn't re-read it or edit it a bit before submitting it 2 days late... in some ways I feel I don't deserve the recognition because I didn't to it the "right way"... methinks we need a little more deschooling around this joint! I couldn't even graciously accept my instructor's compliment! I'm also thinking it's time to take a Landmark seminar... get a bit more aligned to 'what's so' rather than my fantasy or interpretation about how it should look :)

So, once again, yay me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment