Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I have not posted in over a year...

...because I began working for the provincial government. Not once in the 13 months I have been employed, have I been on a team with all positions filled by permanent employees - floats, mat leaves, sick leaves, and just plain old true vacancies not filled. THIS is why my job is hard. Not because of all the "awful" things I see - really, I see poverty and marginalization.

But I love my job, because I love working with people who have university degrees, because I love that people understand the way I think. I love that I'm a unionized worker so much that I'm a shop steward for the BCGEU. I volunteer for committees, like HOYJA, an "aging out" ceremony our Youth Team put on for our youth, celebrated in a traditional longhouse. I'm so happy to have broken free of the "McJob" cycle of meaningless, underpaid work designed to make a rich guy richer.

And I'm taking my kids swimming and camping. It's summer, after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment