Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The state of the garden


This was my garden at the beginning of May. It usually looks like this in early spring. We always have good intentions of maintaining a winter garden, totally possible in southwestern BC, but the previous few winters have been COLD and snowy. Record-breakingly cold. So the frost and snow killed the swiss chard and most of the leeks, and the lettuce, which I started from seed in late Sept/early Oct didn't do anything.

The contraption on the right is a soil sifter on a stand that my sister/roommate made. You are looking at the back of the sifter. It is designed so that a wheelbarrow can be wheeled underneath the mesh. It's very handy, although not super-sturdy, as she whacked it together quite quickly (My sissy's a handy girl, we jokingly call her the "man of the house").

Every year, we sift the soil, digging a little further down and mixing in copious amounts of topsoil, manure, peat, etc. Every year we "rotate" the "crops" we grow in a 4 bed rotation. This year, we decided to box out these 4 beds. We also decided to create two new beds, one for tomatoes, and one as a "nursery" bed - where I intend to start my fall and winter crops from seed in July/August. So far, so good, but maybe we're too ambitious? We have completed 3 of these 6 beds. Still, I love my veggie garden.
This is my garden today. In fact, it's almost the exact same shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment