Sunday, October 4, 2009

Aaak!! And now September is over!

(as an aside, the Aaak!! in my title totally reminds me of Bill the Cat from Bloom County (? - the one w/Opus the penguin). My dad loved it when I was a teen)

Once more, a month has escaped me without a blog post. I'm supposed to be loving this. It is supposed to be my writing lite. As in not heavy-duty theoretical, as in not centered on social justice, or politics of identity/difference, as in, no heavy reading before-hand.

But then, silly me, I had a wedding. With a hundred guests. A HUNDRED!! I didn't really realize I knew a hundred people, as I'm a bit of a hermit, mostly just hangin' with the fam' - the ones who live in my household, and my folks, mostly. But, honestly, almost all of those 100 people were family. My husband is the youngest of 10 kids (neither Catholic nor careless, as the saying goes... mama had two families, the Laroses, 4 kids, then the Reeves, 5 kids, plus a foster brother. Gosh, brave mama, I certainly couldn't see pushing that many babies out of my body, yikes!)

It was a lovely wedding. We managed it all on a 'shoestring' budget - over 5 grand. Kinda makes my frugal heart sick to think of all that money spent on ONE day (it wasn't all our money, my parents paid a lot, and Ryder's dad bought a bunch of the booze). But this one day wasn't really about Ryder and I, or even us and the kids. It was about family. It was about community. It was about being together as one very large, brand new family grouping.

We invited one of my mother-in-law's cousins that no one really knew because her side and mama's side of their family had been estranged for years, and they were just now getting back in touch. How lovely to be able to host her and her hubby and grandkids. She asked to invite 2 of her 3 grown sons (who weren't able to make it), and we, of course, said "YES!" Cutting costs was about doing it ourselves, not cutting the guest list.

So, despite all the perfectly valid and reasonable reasons to NOT have a big wedding, I'm really glad we did. I'm really glad we created such a wonderful experience for our families. There were about 25 little kids there, one of the biggest highlights of the day for me. I'm sure I could say this better, and more theoretically. In my speech, I mentioned post-modernism, and I could go on at length here about that, and feminism as well, but I'm just happy to get a little loose, flowy writing out without worrying about my grade - now, on to the heavy reading - 2 hours with 12 pages, yeee-haw!

Oh, yeah, and so when does this feeling married thing kick in? (wrote that on Facebook, and stepson's mother told me I'm broken, which pissed me off, because she's the one who doesn't love her son - who's broken, b!tch?! - sorry, sometimes even social workers need to vent)

No comments:

Post a Comment