Friday, October 23, 2009

radical unschooling and a public school education?

Is that an oxymoron? A contradiction in terms?

Well, I'm trying it out ;)

I've found the blog of the most amazing young woman, Idzie, from near Montreal, who is unschooled. I want my boy to turn out as cool as she is! She calls herself, among other things, an anti-civilizationist. I'm not super-clear on what this means, but it seems to be based on the premises that civilization is unsustainable, i.e. too many people living in the same places to provide enough food, and that civilization thus requires violence to secure enough food for it's citizens.

From my studies of oppression and marginalized social groups, especially the Indigenous peoples of North America, I'm inclined to agree, at least as a hypothesis. I want to read more, of course, but it reminds me of the readings I was assigned when I took an upper level philosophy course in applied ethics. We studied Liberalism, Libertarianism, and what my prof called Democratic Cultural Pluralism, for which we read selections from Iris Marion Young's The Politics of Difference. Young advocated for recognition over redistribution, arguing that one cannot redistribute such goods as respect and opportunity, exactly what is missing for marginalized people. She also talked a lot about regionalism as a form of political control, which reminded me a lot of the way First nations groups in BC have been negotiating self government.

But I digress. I want to raise curious, thoughtful children, critical thinkers who can deconstruct any opinion, value, attitude, political philosophy or policy. I want to raise radical thinkers, committed to getting to the root of social issues who are not content with a shallow life of media consumption. I am committed to authentic social justice, to the transformation of our political relationships, both locally and globally. I am not yet suspicious of the public education system, as are some of the radical unschoolers I have read on the internet, but I am very aware of the history of institutionalized oppression.

As I ponder what it's going to take for me to be able to walk away from public school, I think more and more of my own schooling. I've come to realize that I never liked school. However, I have always been extremely intelligent, and a voracious reader. I love education, learning, knowledge, wisdom, and I always have, but I felt both squashed and exposed in school. I think I am finally, after 15 years out of the public school system, 4 years of aimless, part-time college studies, a year of fine arts, childbirth and motherhood followed by 3 years of focused, full-time university studies, starting to really, truly enjoy my studies. I want to pursue graduate studies, maybe even law! However, I still struggle with anxiety, perfectionism and procrastination around my assignments, so I have a ways to go, yet.

But my boy, oh, I don't want him to have to deprogram himself the way I have to deprogram myself. I've been saving for his post-secondary education with an RESP since he was a couple months old. I want him to want to use that money. I don't want him to stress, to feel panic about exams, to write papers the night before they're due. I want him to be a true scholar, naturally reading and writing and exploring. And I'm starting to be convinced that the only way to achieve this is unschooling.

(I read on the internet about an unschooled 12 year old who was attending classes at Malaspina, a college on Vancouver Island. He got an A+ in Philosophy 100. He felt that high school students were treated like prisoners, whereas college students were treated like customers, free to leave if the class wasn't interesting. Good point.)

But I read on a radical unschooling message board that this is more than theory for education, it's a theory for parenting in general. Treat your kids with the same respect you'd treat an adult. What a radical concept, considering there is still a legal defense to assault of one's children in Canada. (You just can't hit them on the head, or with an object.) The post said that a child could be unschooled and go to public school if said child chose public school of his/her own volition - the key, according to the poster, was coersion.

However, my children do not choose school. It is childcare for me. Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. What kind and humbling words! Thank you so much. :-)

    I'm trying, with some difficulty, to put together a newer, better, post on green anarchy, so that should be up in the next couple of weeks, and will hopefully give a better idea of what it is! Your initial thoughts on it are correct, by the way, just not the *whole* story... If you want to do more reading, I'd suggest checking out some of the bigger names in the green anarchist movement, such as (that I've read) Derrick Jensen (Endgame vol 1 & 2, The Culture of Make Believe (he also has a good book on education called Walking on Water)) and Daniel Quinn (Ishmael, My Ishmael). Also, on my to-read list, authors such as John Zerzan, Ward Churchill, Fredy Perlman... I think I've read more essays online than books, so I'll have to track some of them down to include in my upcoming post...

    Also, it's one of my dreams that unschooling can become big enough that there can be more of a community in each area, and thus unschooling can really become much more accessible to people, since then you have ready made free childcare, and just a general trading and sharing of resources... Anyway, best of luck for making unschooling work for your family!

    Peace,
    Idzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idzie
    I certainly look forward to seeing that post appear in my blog reader :) Meanwhile, thanks for the suggested reading list.

    As well, I think it is also my dream to see unschooling become big enough that it is truly available for all who would choose it for their children, regardless of community involvement.

    What if the federal government actually instituted a childcare program like Quebec's system, heavily subsidized by the provincial government? What if such systems were available to children of all ages that required adult supervision? What if these children were able to use this time to work on whatever interested them, including organized art and music activities, but weren't coerced to participate if they so chose? Just the beginning of these ideas/dreams for me, and I'm sure I'll be writing more about them.

    ReplyDelete